UK Space Agency
The Space for Smarter Government Programme is funded by the UK Space Agency.
The UK Space Agency is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy and is responsible for all strategic decisions on the UK civil space programme and provide a clear, single voice for UK space ambitions.
At the heart of UK efforts to explore and benefit from space, we are responsible for ensuring that the UK retains and grows a strategic capability in space-based systems, technologies, science and applications. We lead the UK’s civil space programme in order to win sustainable economic growth, secure new scientific knowledge and provide benefit to all citizens.
We work to:
- co-ordinate UK civil space activity
- encourage academic research
- support the UK space industry
- raise the profile of UK space activities at home and abroad
- increase understanding of space science and its practical benefits
- inspire our next generation of UK scientists and engineers
- licence the launch and operation of UK spacecraft
- promote co-operation and participation in the European Space programme
Who we are
We’re an executive agency of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, made up of about 200 staff based in Swindon, London and Harwell, Oxfordshire.
We are responsible for:
- leading the UK civil space policy and increasing the UK contribution to European initiatives
- building a strong national space capability, including scientific and industrial centres of excellence
- co-ordinating strategic investment across industry and academia
- working to inspire and train a growing, skilled UK workforce of space technologists and scientists
- working on national and international space projects in co-operation with industry and academia
- regulating the UK civil space activities and ensuring we meet international treaty obligations
We plan to capture 10% of the global market for space by 2030, as set out in the Space Innovation and Growth Strategy.
From 2018 to 2019, our priorities will be to:
- continue to grow the UK space sector which is at the heart of the Industrial Strategy
- grow the UK space economy by enabling and encouraging businesses to build a safe and sustainable commercial market for small satellite launch and sub-orbital spaceflight from UK spaceports
- execute our existing regulatory responsibilities efficiently and effectively and maintain the pace of reform of the UK’s regulatory regime
- oversee the performance, funding and risk management in delivering the Agency’s national and international programmes to derive maximum benefit.
- work with our education partners to use space as an inspiring context for teaching and learning for pupils of all ages and across a range of subjects
- strengthen existing international partnerships and create new relationships with nations strategically aligned to UK government priorities, based on our mutual interests in science and technology, security and economic growth
How we will carry out our work plan is explained in our corporate plan 2018-19.
For more information on the UK Space Agency, visit us here or sign up to our newsletter.