SSGP Project Showcase Event 2016
15 June 2016 – The Space for Smarter Government Programme (SSGP) hosted its annual Project Showcase event last week to present the findings of the 15 projects that it funded during 2015/16.
The projects explore a variety of public sector needs, largely centred on environmental challenges (at a local and national level), remote compliance monitoring and natural hazard risk management.
This invitation-only event was limited to central and local government officials and industry presenters who were involved in SSGP activities.
Policy and delivery leads within government had the opportunity to hear directly from the project teams involved, about how policy challenges are being tackled using space-enabled data and applications, how the individual projects are progressing and their wider applicability, the lessons learnt, and the planned next steps.
The event was attended by about 90 delegates engaging in insightful discussions and identifying synergies throughout the day with project leads and fellow policy makers.
Attendees also had the opportunity to hear from the Chief Executive Officer of the UK Space Agency, Katherine Courtney, and the UK Space Agency SSGP Manager, Sara Huntingdon.
Outputs from the day
All the presentations delivered on the day were filmed and they can be accessed below alongside the slides that accompanied the talks.
- Katherine Courtney, CEO, UK Space Agency – video
- Sara Huntingdon, SSGP Manager, UK Space Agency – presentation / video
Session 1 – Phase 2 demonstration projects
- Air Quality Hot Spot Mapper (AQHSM), University of Leicester – presentation / video
- Sea Level Space Watch, Satellite Oceanographic Consultants – presentation / video
- New Concept Always Connected Medical Screening Vehicles, DEOS Consulting – presentation / video
- Earth Observation Data Integration Pilot (EODIP), Defra Earth Observation Centre of Excellence (EO CoE) – presentation / video
- 1 to 100, SterlingGEO – presentation / video
Session 2 – SBRI Phase 1 feasibility projects on Environment
- Earth observation: Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) monitoring, ecosystem capacity, natural capital valuation, Plymouth Marine Laboratory – presentation / video
- Using EO to improve Natural Resource Management Pesticide Risk, ADAS – presentation / video
- Using Earth Observation for efficient and effective peatland assessment, Rezatec – presentation / video
- Sentinel 1 Mapping in Support of CAP Compliance Checks, RSAC Ltd – presentation / video
- Space Applications for Precision Plant Health Information, Response & Evaluation, Rezatec – presentation / video
Session 3 – SBRI Phase 1 feasibility projects on Flooding
- Location-aware Emergency evacuation support for coastal flooding, University of Lincoln – presentation / video
- eXude – Urban Flood & Drainage Monitoring, Stevenson Astrosat – presentation / video
- Improving national flood resilience through early warning using intelligent satellite SAR and hydrological modelling, Ambiental – presentation / video
- Development of operational national satellite imaging flood mapping capability, Telespazio Vega – presentation / video
- Optical and Microwave Extension for Floodwater mapping (OMEF), Pixalytics – presentation / video